Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: Professionals prefer open standards

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member miker's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 16th, 1999
    Posts
    2,621
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    http://dailynews.yahoo.com/htx/nm/20...wood_dc_1.html

    Consider Linux as your next OS !!
    (I'm already using it to write this)

  2. #2
    Inactive Member sdchown's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 21st, 2000
    Posts
    120
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hello

    I am a IT professional. And I disagree with you. I think Windows is the dogs bollocks. Developing for windows is how I make my film funding cash.

    So not all professionals prefer open standards.

    Later
    Stephen

  3. #3
    Inactive Member andy_winton's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 1999
    Posts
    240
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    How about -

    'professionals who have fully evaluated and
    understood the differences between micr$oft
    and open standard prefer open standards'

    --

    However, let's not get into a flame war.
    My OS is better than your OS.

    --

    However, however, MS have done some very
    very bad things, albeit in the name of
    greed. One thing I would liked to see from
    the court case would be to force MS to
    stick to standard and not make their own.
    This would be better for the users (which
    always seems to be their chant). Or even
    something like when you sell X million copies
    of a program you must port it to another
    OS, etc.

    Yep, of course these are all unworkable,
    but it just seems they are getting a slap
    on the wrists (or pat on the back depending
    how you see things) for the wrong reasons.

    Anyway, sorry to take up airtime with this
    old debate. Just forgetabout it, there's
    nothing we can do.

    andy

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Curtin-Parloe's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 2000
    Posts
    376
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello

    I too am an IT professional, and I think that Windows is just bollocks smile
    If I didn't have to support Microsoft Bloatware, I'd have more time to make films
    Why can't we all go back to abacusses(abaci?)
    Don't think I'm criticising, I'm just letting off steam. I hate my job!

    cheers

    Paul

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member miker's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 16th, 1999
    Posts
    2,621
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I am also an IT professional using my skills to fund my films.

    When considering a budget, when you can ditch M$ CALs and proprietry protocols and breakware, that is a good thing.

    Sure, Win2000 is good, but how it hangs when accessing a CD-ROM still (=slack low level coding IMHO)

    I am not a developer, I consult/implement/support, and once you find a suitable solution on Linux you never want to go back to windows for lots of reasons.

    The fact that the film industry is being seen to embrace Linux means in my view, having Linux skills is good. THINK about it, duh.

    And as for Microsoft confusing people with their 'Linux is cancer' mantra, I see windows assimilating more OEMs like a cancer than Linux.


    oops ... here comes some work ...

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member miker's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 16th, 1999
    Posts
    2,621
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    to continue, however, I do think Microsoft have pretty much helped drive down the cost of PC hardware by virtue of shifting so many boxes ... and those boxes wouldn't shift if Windows was utter shite.

    But Linux is steadily becoming a viable alternative to windows in many areas, it's definitely an area to watch.

    How does this affect filmmaking then?

    Imagine not having to pay for your NLE software (Broadcast2000) or your 3D software (Blender) or your office suite (KOffice) etc.

    Imagine an OS that never crashes in normal use, processes that can be killed absolutely instantly, 6 parallel terminals on the same PC, a graphical interface that can be exported to thin clients across a network.

    Imagine an OS that doesn't lock you into decision making for the future, runs a firewall on a 386 class hardware and includes many if not all of the technology that gave birth to the internet itself.

    [anorak off, asbestos suit on]

  7. #7
    Inactive Member sdchown's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 21st, 2000
    Posts
    120
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Who cares how good or bad microsoft software is, I earn good rates developing for their platforms.

    Unemployment = Bad
    Money = Good

    You could even say that if it weren't for Microsoft, I wouldn't have been able to spend a grand and a half on a video assist for my Eclair ACL.

    Cheerio
    Stephen



    [This message has been edited by sdchown (edited August 16, 2001).]

  8. #8
    Inactive Member andy_winton's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 1999
    Posts
    240
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Erm,

    Surely the assumption that if it weren't
    for M$ we'd not have PCs today is more
    of a leap of faith than an assumption.

    Maybe without them, we'd all have
    mac-clones and be in a better situation...

    And again, you'd then be writing software
    for MAC (or similar).

    I think you give too much credit to
    M$. In my opinion nothing could stop
    the computer revolution, and to say that
    it is all because of one company is a
    bit too much to take in.

    We now even see a sub $1000 SUN
    workstation. So even the traditionally
    expensive hardware is in anyone's reach.

    So, sorry, in my opinion if MS was not
    here we would not be taking punched cards
    to our babbage difference engine.

    Would it be better without MS? I don't
    think it would be any worse. Either way,
    it would be interesting to turn the clock
    back, change history and see how things
    would turn out...

    [an idea for a film...]

    [andy presses send on his Turing Mark 3
    computer designed when Alan Turing was
    at the age of 93...only if huh?]

    andy

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Chance1234's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 4th, 2000
    Posts
    1,698
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    if we all switched back to windows 3.1 half the problems would be gone smile

    I too develop microsoft pants, but moving away to project management more and more now.

    though syaing that going to learn Java and Java beans, theres a guy in my building who is on over a grand a day developing it



  10. #10
    Inactive Member Chance1234's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 4th, 2000
    Posts
    1,698
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    if we all switched back to windows 3.1 half the problems would be gone smile

    I too develop microsoft pants, but moving away to project management more and more now.

    though syaing that going to learn Java and Java beans, theres a guy in my building who is on over a grand a day developing it



Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •